Turtle Cove, Bronx, NY

My first series will be of the
tidal ponds at Turtle Cove.

Monday, March 3, 2014

Turtle Cove - January 19, 2014 - Icing Over


This morning I arrived at the cove at about 9 a.m. I begin my photography at the northeast corner of the second pond. As I walk around the perimeter and out onto the berm, I am regretting my lack of gloves and hat. It is bitterly, cruely cold and my hands are aching in just a few short minutes of exposure. The payoff is that there is ice on the ponds and broken, scudding clouds allow enough beautiful morning light to make the golds of the phragmites and marsh grasses glow against the gray purples of the leafless winter woods.
I chose to paint from the roadside vantage point just north of the berm. This provided a view down and across the marsh and second pond with interesting branches breaking into the foreground.

No comments:

Post a Comment